Dr René Rozendal
- Industrial wastewater treatment
- Microbial fuel cells (MFCs)
- Microbial electrolysis cells (MECs)
- Bioelectrochemical systems (BESs)
- (Bio)electrochemistry, bioenergetics, thermodynamics
- Reactor design for bioelectrochemical wastewater treatment
- Anaerobic processes
- Nov 2009: Winner of the DOW Energy Dissertation Prize 2009. This prestigious award seeks to reward researchers that recently completed their PhD research in a subject which could promote sustainable development in the process industry.
- June 2008: Honorable mention at the DSM Science & Technology awards. The DSM Science & Technology Awards (North) form part of the DSM Innovation Awards Program sponsored by the DSM Innovation Center. They are awarded for outstanding PhD research by doctoral students from the Netherlands, Belgium and the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- April 2008: Winner of the MAD award. MAD stands for Most Appealing Dissertation. The MAD award is a prominent election for PhD candidates at European Universities with the focus on outstanding, original and creative dissertations.
- April 2008: Winner of the SENSE award. The SENSE Research School for Socio-Economic and Natural Sciences of the Environment is a joint venture of the environmental research institutes of nine Dutch universities. The SENSE PhD Award is a yearly prize for the best PhD thesis of a SENSE student as defended in the previous year.
- March 2008: Honorable mention at Wageningen University Research award. This research award is sponsored by the Wageningen University Foundation and was presented on the occasion of the 90th dies natalis (foundation day) of Wageningen University.
- April 2007: Co-author of “Microbial Fuel Cells: Methodology and Technology” by Bruce Logan, Bert Hamelers, René Rozendal, Uwe Schröder, Jürg Keller, Stefano Freguia, Peter Aelterman, Willy Verstraete, and Korneel Rabaey. This paper was awarded as one of best papers published in 2006 in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.
- Jun 2006: Winner of the Professor Marcel Mulder Prize. This prize was established in 2006 to encourage PhD students to focus as much on technological innovation in their research as on scientific excellence.
- Nov 2001: Winner of the IMPCA (International Methanol Producers and Consumers Association) award for excellent students.
- Jan 2000: Winner of a VNCI (Association of the Dutch Chemical Industry) award for excellent students
- Jan 1999: Winner of a VNCI (Association of the Dutch Chemical Industry) award for excellent students
Rozendal, R.A.; Leone, E.; Keller, J.; Rabaey, K. (2009) Efficient hydrogen peroxide generation from organic matter in a bioelectrochemical system. Electrochem. Commun. 11, 1752-1755.
Logan, B. E.; Call, D.; Cheng, S.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Sleutels, T. H. J. A.; Jeremiasse, A. W.; Rozendal, R. A. (2008) Microbial electrolysis cells for high yield hydrogen gas production from organic matter, Environ. Sci. Technol. 42: 8630-8640.
Rozendal, R. A.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Rabaey K.; Keller J.; Buisman, C. J. N. (2008) Towards practical implementation of bioelectrochemical wastewater treatment. Trends Biotechnol. 26: 450-459
Rozendal, R. A.; Sleutels, T. H. J. A.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Buisman, C. J. N. (2008) Effect of the type of ion exchange membrane on performance, ion transport, and pH in biocatalyzed electrolysis of wastewater. Water Sci. Technol. 2008, 57: 1757-1762
Rozendal, R. A.; Jeremiasse, A. W.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Buisman, C. J. N. (2008) Hydrogen production with a microbial biocathode. Environ. Sci. Technol. 42, 629-634.
Rozendal, R. A.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Molenkamp, R. J.; Buisman, C. J. N. Performance of single chamber biocatalyzed electrolysis with different types of ion exchange membranes. Water Res. 2007, 41, 1984-1994.
Logan, B. E.; Hamelers, B.; Rozendal, R.; Schröder, U.; Keller, J.; Freguia, S.; Aelterman, P.; Verstraete, W.; Rabaey, K. Microbial fuel cells: methodology and technology. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2006, 40, 5181-5192.
Ter Heijne, A.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; De Wilde, V.; Rozendal, R. A.; Buisman, C. J. N. A bipolar membrane combined with ferric iron reduction as an efficient cathode system in microbial fuel cells. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2006, 40, 5200-5205.
Rozendal, R. A.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Buisman, C. J. N. Effects of membrane cation transport on pH and microbial fuel cell performance. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2006, 40, 5206-5211.
Rozendal, R. A.; Hamelers, H. V. M.; Euverink, G. J. W.; Metz, S. J.; Buisman, C. J. N. Principle and perspectives of hydrogen production through biocatalyzed electrolysis. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 2006, 31, 1632-1640.
Rozendal, R. A.; Buisman, C. J. N. 2005. Process for producing hydrogen, Patent WO2005005981 (Priority date: 10th of July 2003).